“Arcana is such a gift to Portland, ME. Whether you attend yoga, are interested in energy healing, or just want to shop around a tremendously healing environment, I would recommend Arcana a thousand times over! Being a part of this community, has been life changing for me! Thank you to all the Arcana folks for all the beauty they offer our world”
- Secrets or Mysteries
- A supposed great secret of nature that the alchemists sought to discover.
Summer: Sunday- Thursday 10-6 | Friday & Saturday 10-7
Winter: Tuesday-Saturday 11-6 | Sunday 11-5| Closed Mondays
Spring & Fall: Tuesday- Saturday 10-6 | Sunday & Monday 11-5
*Above hours are for our shop and healing arts center, for our yoga class schedule (outside of the above hours) click here.
- There is generally plenty of street parking on Market street and Exchange street, right by Arcana. There is also plentiful parking nearby at the city court house available at current city of Portland rates. Directly around the corner from Arcana on Newbury Street FREE one hour parking can be found.
- We also recommend the Top of the Old Port lot, about 2 blocks from Arcana or at the Free Street Garage by the Nickelodeon
- There is additional FREE parking available on Commercial street and on Franklin Ave, both are about a 5-10 minute walk from Arcana.
- Nearby bus stops include Middle Street and Temple Street & Fore Street.
We suggest accounting for about 15 minutes or so in your schedule to find street parking in the Old Port, especially in our busy summer season.
Jennie Joan: The Story behind Arcana’s Owner
In 2014, Jennie hit a bottom. Her life hadn’t fallen completely apart from drug and alcohol use, she was teaching yoga, going to school- but she was losing dignity and hope daily. Her heart was aching for more joy and less shameful mornings, desperate pleas, and lost relationships. So in June of 2014, Jennie had her last sip of alcohol. And the end of that story was the start of a whole new one: a story of recovery, growth, and deep, inter-generational healing.
Since giving up mind altering substances, diving deeper into yoga and getting help from the recovery community, Jennie has gained a life she never knew possible as a rural Maine- born girl with a family history of addiction and poverty.
A college degree, a plethora of certifications in yoga and wellness, a yoga school and over 60 graduates in over 4 years, a shop in the Old Port, a healing arts center, an incredible team at Arcana, a partner in recovery who makes her laugh every day, and a ridiculously cute son, Leo Xavier.
Jennie was blessed to carry the torch of leading Arcana’s team after Kate Hebold – Arcana founder and original visioner, passed it along to her in 2016.
However, since shifting her life around, Jennie has experienced great loss as well; A close friend to a drunk driving accident, a divorce, a cousin and friends to overdose, and even the friend and yoga student who built Arcana’s yoga studio in 2017.
Arcana’s humble yoga studio was lovingly created by two men, free of charge, from the spirit of service and the skill in their hands. Just a few short months later, one of these blessed souls, John, passed away from an overdose, like far too many souls have, too soon here in Maine. John believed in Jennie’s vision, and his memory and care live on in our walls and hearts.
A Business with A Mission
Here at Arcana, we try to honor our roots, and we take our role in the community seriously. We offer healing because we emerged from our own healing and helping.
Arcana was built from hard work, love, faith & service. And so, we are committed to a few essential things.
- Giving back to the recovery community. Overdose deaths in Maine are still on the rise. We’ve lost yoga students at Arcana to overdose and incarceration- AND we’ve built this community on recovery and redemption. That’s why we offer discounted yoga classes to individuals on all paths of recovery. We make regular charitable contributions to two local nonprofits aiding this community: Sea Change Yoga and The Family Restored. Mention that you are in recovery to our front desk for $6 off any yoga class and sliding scale options for bodywork. We also give out 3 partial scholarships in every Yoga and Reiki teacher training to individuals finding sobriety. And, we commit to hiring individuals in recovery and who have been incarcerated or have criminal records that might prevent hire elsewhere.
- We promote constant evaluation and energy towards social justice for others who have been oppressed. We believe conversations about healing must include social justice. This is why we also commit to hiring and training individuals whenever possible in the LGBTQ* community, people of color, refugees, survivors of trauma, individuals with diverse bodies, people from different socioeconomic backgrounds, new parents and more. Our yoga teacher training includes content on appropriation, privilege, social justice, diversity and ally-ship. We also commit to doing more, learning more, looking inward and trying harder.
- Our yoga teachers recognize that trauma affects up to 70 percent of the population and perhaps more. That’s why our yoga instructors are explicit when it comes to touch and emphasize consent. We also hire trauma informed body-workers available for massage and energy work.
- In an industry that utilizes tools from around the world, we commit to supporting healers who honor the roots of the practices they utilize and teach. We commit to constantly checking in on language and action to honor original cultures.
- We aim to empower and fuel the femininity in ALL of us that has been systematically oppressed to find balance between yin and yang. That’s why we collaborate with and support other female identified entrepreneurs, artists and business owners.
How can we talk about healing without addressing societal samskaras (habits, scars)?
We can’t. We take healing seriously over here and hope to continue to do and be better.